Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jim Thomlinson Jim Thomlinson is offline

Default calculate age from 2 dates in yy,mm,dd format in excel

So how would you make it faster??? Both Now and Today are volatile so there
is no real advantage to using either one in the context they are being used
and the formula is concatenating 3 calculations together so it requires
getting the current date 3 times. While you could put Now (or Today) in a
seperate cell any gains in speed by only calculating the value once will be
lost in the fact that you now have 3 references to that volatile cell.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Pete_UK" wrote:

I'm not sure why Chip used NOW() instead of TODAY(), and by having it
in the formula 3 times, surely this will take longer to calculate than
once in a cell (I know you are keen on timings in formulae, Epinn).

Pete

Epinn wrote:
From the link:

Calculating A Person's Age

A frequent use of the DATEDIF is to compute someone's age based on the current date and their birthday. The formula below will return someone's exact age based on their birthday in cell A1.

=DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"y") & " years, " & DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"ym") & " months, " & DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"md") & " days"

This will return a string like

33 years, 9 months, 18 days

"Epinn" wrote in message ...
In case you want to do some reading while you wait for an answer ......

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm#Age

Epinn

"jan" wrote in message ...
using excel 2003. try to calculate age from date of birth and another date.