Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Biff Biff is offline

Default EXTRACTING NUMBERS FROM A TEXT CELL

As long as the "whitespaces" are in fact standard spaces:

=MID(A1,FIND("~",SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","~",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))))+1,255)*1

Biff
"SSJ" wrote in message ...
Hello!

Currently I am unable to download information from the accounting system in a better format. So one line of information come into Excel in one cell, hence, the example below:

@1 0325@1 OPENING BALANCE : .....ESTIMATED COST - MATERIAL@1< 813,936.29

There are two things I need to learn he

1) How can I extract just the number.
1a) I tried the using the formula: =RIGHT(A1, 11) and i was able to extract the number, however, i faced two problems.
1c) The 1st problem was that the extracted number came out as a text and I was unable to do any mathematical operation on it, such as, addtion.
1b) The 2nd problem was that I had to change the 'num chars' in the formula as the numbers are on varoius lengths.

2) How can I parse the data once in Excel, if I want to do that.

Thanks in advance
SJ