Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
gls858 gls858 is offline

Default EXTRACTING NUMBERS FROM A TEXT CELL

SSJ wrote:
Hello gls858

Thanks for the response!

(1) When I try opening the text file in Excel give me the following error
message: "This file is not in a recognizable format." Therefore I am unable
to get it into Excel that way.

(2) I tried your suggestion to parse it in Excel by going into Data Text
to column and then choosing fixed width. I worked, however, partially. You
see the lines are not even, some are long and some are short. It does not
quite work when have lines in thousands.

Thanks
SJ
----

"gls858" wrote in message
SSJ wrote:
Hello!
Currently I am unable to download information from the accounting system
in a better format. So one line of information come into Excel in one
cell, hence, the example below: @1 0325@1 OPENING BALANCE :
.....ESTIMATED COST - MATERIAL@1< 813,936.29
There are two things I need to learn he
1) How can I extract just the number.
1a) I tried the using the formula: =RIGHT(A1, 11) and i was able to
extract the number, however, i faced two problems.
1c) The 1st problem was that the extracted number came out as a text and
I was unable to do any mathematical operation on it, such as, addtion.
1b) The 2nd problem was that I had to change the 'num chars' in the
formula as the numbers are on varoius lengths.
2) How can I parse the data once in Excel, if I want to do that.
Thanks in advance
SJ

If the document coming from the accounting program is in fact a
text file simply go to file open, and navigate to the file, then open.
It should pop up the Text import wizard and allow you to parse the data
either with a delimiter or fixed width. If the data is already in the
spread sheet go to Data Text to columns and this function will allow
you to parse the data.

gls858

Is the suffix .txt? It looks like it may be a delimited file with
the @ sign as the delimiter. You might try using a space as a delimiter.

I see now also that the numbers were brought over as text. I found this
program very helpful in converting "text numbers" to actual numbers. It
has a lot of other helpful functions also. You can find it at:
http://www.asap-utilities.com/ It's a freebie.

gls858