Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Default OBBC=connection to ... failed.

YOU can't tell, except by being allowed or denied.....there are no error
messages that I am aware of. Your MIS guy should be able to check to see
what the account is set up for, or if it is set up at all, and be able to
make any alterations you might need.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Jim Moberg" wrote:

How would I or our I.S. guy be able to tell this?

"CLR" wrote:

It sounds like you have an account set up authorizing you to use the path
from Access, but need a password, but do not have an account allowing you to
use Excel....I would check with your MIS dept, and/or administrator..

My account is set for only me to use and only from this one computer.....

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Jim Moberg" wrote:

I just noticed that when I run the query right in MS-Access I get the same
message but I'm prompted to enter a login ID and password. When trying to
run the query from Excel the difference is that I'm not prompted. If I could
get this to work it would make life much easier.

"CLR" wrote:

Sounds like you may not have "rights" to the channel or the data.....check
with you MIS to see if you do............if you had then some time ago, maybe
the path has been changed.........

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Jim Moberg" wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to create a pivot table using data from an MS-Access query. I am
using the pivot table and pivot chart wizard. Here is what I am doing:

On step 1 I select "External data source".
Click on "Get Data"
I choose "MS-Access database*"
I choose the database I want to use.
I choose the query I want to use.
I don't want to add any filters or sorts because they are already in the
query so I click next to those prompts.
I leave the "Return data to microsoft excel" selected and click on finish.

I then get a message from Microsoft Query stating "ODBC connection to 'ODBC
connection name' failed."

What do I need to do to get this working?