Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMB JMB is offline

Default Sum does not sum to zero - leaves very small remainder

NG says the post wasn't received - so will try again:

When dealing w/decimals, it may be necessary to use the round function. See
Chip's site for discussion about this issue.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/rounding.htm

"Michael" wrote:

Hi,
I'm using SUM on a large spreadsheet of dollar type amounts that should only
have information to 2 decimal places and should sum to zero.

The problem is the sum function sums to a small remainder - in this case :

0.000000000069121597334742500000

I've looked at each value and none of them have any decimal values greater
than 2 decimal places.

Any ideas about why this is occuring ?

Regards
Michael