Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernard Liengme Bernard Liengme is offline

Default Need statistical help

How about plotting the data as a 'normal distribution'
see
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ch..._distribution/
illustrates 3 ways of drawing a curve.

Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"DTTODGG" wrote in message
Hello-

This is not excel specific, but I don't know where else to ask.

I have a huge file that shows 2 date columns. One columns shows purchase
date and the other shows registration date. I have found out how many days
between the 2 dates, but:

I would like to show some kind of "meaningful" stats on these. (Maybe on a
pretty chart?)
Such as:
- The longest time to register
- The quickest time to register
- The average time to register
I can probably do all the above easily in excel, but I really need to
understand the data. Can I predict how long it will take the "average"
customer to register? I don't think "average" is an accurate reflection.
There are those who take forever to get around to registering and those
few
really skew the data. Is there some formula to "drop" a certain percentage
or
something? I don't believe standard deviation works here without first
manipulating the extremes.

I realize this is more a question about stats than excel, but when you
tell
me the formula, I need to know how to graph it so it looks real pretty :-)

Thanks in advance,
P.S. If there is a good website to read up on predictions/stats, please
point the way. I need to understand the formula as well as know how to use
it
in excel.