Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peter Peter is offline

Default Range Names & Auto Fill

I am fighting with range names. I feel that my workbooks would be both more
robust and more readable if I used them consistently. To this end I would be
very greatful if anyone would help me with what is probably a silly question.

In the following example I have used NamesCreate to create the range names
apples, pears, north, south etc. refering to b2:b5, c2:c5,b2:d2,b3:d3
respectivley.

A B C D
apples pears bananas
north 1 5 9
south 2 6 10
east 3 7 11
west 4 8 12

Say in column E I want to sum b2:d2 ie north then =sum(north) in e2 does the
trick - and is easy to read. But now if I use auto fill to pull the formula
down from e2 through to e5 I just get sum(north) in each cell. If I had used
=sum(b2:d2) then, being relative addresses, all would have been well. I
realise that for the example it would be easy to just enter the correct
furmula for each row but this would not be sensible on a larger sheet. I
know I can use INDIRECT eg =SUM(INDIRECT(A2)), which pulls down fine, but
then the readability disappears. Am I missing something or is this a
limitation I have to live with.

Sorry for such a long post. Many thanks in antcipation. Peter