Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default combining excel worksheets with common columns

use the vlookup worksheet function in Sheet1.

See Excel help for details.

in E2 of sheet1:
=if(iserror(match(A2,Sheet2!A:A,0)),"",vlookup(A2, Sheet2!A:B,2,0))

drag fill down column E.

Tom Ogilvy

"robertlewis" wrote in message
I am using Excel 2003have 2 worksheets, one with a full list of job data
(one
record per row) and the other with similar data but only a sub-set of the
first, where one column is common to both worksheets. I want to copy the
columns from the second worksheet onto the first one but only when the
common
data matches (in this case a unique number).
Example:
Sheet1 headings: job_no, name, date, address
Sheet2 headings: job_no, status
Result needed: job_no, name, date, address, status