Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AudreyJ AudreyJ is offline

Default Regression error - "NUM!"

Hi Jerry,

I tried to paste the values that you asked about in a way that is readable
below. I'm not sure exactly how the formula you sent me for PValue works. I
don't have much experience with this type of thing. Do you see anything in
the below?

Thank you for your response,

Audrey
df SS MS F
Regression 9.0 2,790,427.3 310,047.5 27.1
Residual 49.0 561,151.7 11,452.1
Total 58.0 3,351,579.0

Coefficients Standard Error t Stat P-value
Intercept 1,189.0 - 65,535.0 #NUM!
Expected Loss (bps) 1.7 0.3 4.9 0.0

"Jerry W. Lewis" wrote:

P-value is
=TDIST(t_Stat, df[Residual], 2)
What are the values of "t Stat" and its corresponding "Standard Error" as
well as "df" and "SS" for Residual?

Jerry

"AudreyJ" wrote:

Hi Headly!

When I say I deleted fields I mean I deleted 4 rows from about 50 (the ones
that had the highest residuals). My results are similar to the results I had
before except I have a higher R Square after deleating the rows and I have
the NUM! error as P-Values. I tried copy paste special values to my data, I
still get the same errors. All of the data I'm regressing is numbers. And
actually I pasted the first row of data below. It's a little messy, but
hopefully you can get the idea...

9/29/6 Midspread (bps) Expected Loss (bps) Multiperil USWD (Base case
CAEQ) EurWD Other Perils Notional ($mm) Indemnity (Base case Parametric
Index/ Pure Parametric/ Modeled Loss) Industry Index MITT
575 194 0 0 0 1 250 0 0 0

Thank you so much for your response,

Audrey

"headly" wrote:

When you say you deleted some fields, do you mean rows or columns?
What type of data are you regressing; dates against numbers? if so, is all
data numeric data type; does working with a smaller data set produce the same
result? You might try to copy and paste special values

"AudreyJ" wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone tell me why I might be getting "NUM!" as P-Values in my output?
I'm not sure what that might mean. I deleted a few fields of data to increase
my R Square and all of a sudden I'm getting "NUM!" as several of my P-Values.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

AudreyJ