Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jill Jill is offline

Default drop down list and adding numeric values to text

I am creating a table with several drop down lists (e.g., yes/no/maybe). I
would like to assign numeric values to each text (no = 0, yes = 1, etc.) so
that I can sum across several columns. How do you
a) assign numeric values to drop-down text
b) sum across several columns of drop down text to come up with a single
number?

I cannot figure it out! I"ve been able to figure out how to make one
column's text translate to numeric value, For example: =IF(B4="yes", 1, 0)
but I can't get all of the columns across row 4 to total! Please help!