Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RobC RobC is offline

Default Corrupt Excel 97 Spreadsheet - Can you Help ?

Hi,

Thanks for coming back so quickly.

The filesize is correct (1,097KB). I've checked for another 'cryptic' file
but one does not exist !

Do you have any other suggestions ?

Thanks.
-------------------------------

"CLR" wrote:

First, I would check the filesize in Windows Explorer to make sure it was
about what size I expected it to be. If it is very small, then probably the
"save" got interrupted and it did not save it correctly......if so, then I
would look for another file with a strange cryptic name in the same
directory....which just might be the same file saved under that name during
the save process.......
If the filesize seems about correct, you might try having someone open it in
Excel XP and then re-saving it back to 97 version.

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"RobC" wrote:

I have an Excel 97 spreadsheet that I cannot now access. It was working
perfectly well one day, but when I came to use it the next I got the
following message...

'Golf.xls' cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be
trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored
on may not be responding.

The file isn't read-only, it is not in a read-only location, and it is not
stored on a server.

I've used the file for a number of years. It's fairly large (just over
1MB), but contains simple calculations. It has approx 20worksheets.

I cannot open it, or copy it. I've tried opeing it in Word, WordPad,
NotePad, OpenOrg (which I downloaded), and Excel Viewer - all to no avail.

Does anyone know what is causing the problem, and how to resolve it ?

Regards,
Rob