Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
gfactor gfactor is offline

Default how to return mulitple corresponding values

biff -

you nailed it kid. got the result i was looking for in terms of being able
to have a variable length array. here's my next question:

lets assume my formula reads as follows:

=INDEX(Rng2,SMALL(IF(Rng1=$z$1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&R OWS(Rng2)))),ROW(A1)))

....and my data looks like this:

a(rng2) b(rng1) c (rng4)
1 y1 p1 5
2 x1 p2 1
3 y1 p3 0
4 z1 p4 3
5 q1 p5 4

if my $z$1 value is "y1"...the formula returns 2 data sets:

y1 p1
y1 p3

the thing is, i only want the result delivered if the value in (rng3) is "0"

can you help me?

thanks in advance.

"Biff" wrote:

You can use dynamic ranges that automatically adjust as the size of your
data set changes.

See instructions he

http://contextures.com/xlNames01.html#Dynamic

Then the formula would be something like this: (array entered)

=INDEX(Rng2,SMALL(IF(Rng1=$D$1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&R OWS(Rng2)))),ROW(A1)))

Biff

"gfactor" wrote in message
Biff,

I'm using your formula:

=INDEX($B$1:$B$190,SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$190=$D$1,ROW($ A$1:$A$190)),ROW(A1)))

My question is this: Can the ranges $B$1:$B$190 and A$1:$A$190 be named
ranges with variable amounts of data? I export data out of our accounting
and want to use the formula, but the number of data points changes. It
seems
that the function only works if all the cells between $b$1 and $b$190 have
data. Am i missing something?

thanks in advance,

greg

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

this formula works if the sheet is sorted by the value i'm looking up
and
if
there are no duplicates in the field I want returned.

The sheet does not need to be sorted and it doesn't matter if there are
dupe
return values.

Post the *EXACT* formula that you tried.

I then want to include this
in a weekly dashboard for the 50+ managers i'm monitoring.
have you got anything else?

Pivot table or filter

Biff

"MetricsShiva" wrote in message
this formula works if the sheet is sorted by the value i'm looking up
and
if
there are no duplicates in the field I want returned. Otherwise i get
either
incorrect values returned or errors..

basically, i have a sheet listing jobs scheduled by managers. I want
be
able to look up the manager's name and return a list of all the job's
scheduled and the dates they were scheduled on. I then want to include
this
in a weekly dashboard for the 50+ managers i'm monitoring.

Thanks for the response, but have you got anything else?

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

The basic formula is something like this:

Entered as an array using the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=INDEX(B$1:B$10,SMALL(IF(A$1:A$10=lookup_value,ROW ($1:$10)),ROW(1:1)))

Then copy down.

Where column A contains the lookup_value and column B contains the
values
be returned.

Need more specific details to offer a more robust suggestion.

Biff

"MetricsShiva" wrote in
message
i want to look up a name that occurs several times in one column of a
spreadsheet and return corresponding values from each row the name
occurs
on.
Vlookup returns only one value. How can I get multiple values?