Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
BuickGN87 BuickGN87 is offline

Default Extract values off a chart???

Dear Excel Experts: I have created a scatter chart of x and y values.
Having done this, is it at all possible to extract intermediate values from
the chart. For example, can I call out a value on the x axis and somehow
have the program interpolate a value along the y axis where the x axis value
would intersect. If this can't be done, then can someone tell me how to
interpolate from the data that was used to create this chart? Here's what I
have: the x axis is a series of values that represent rainfall storm
duarations in minutes, i.e. 10 min, 30 min, etc. The y axis values are the
intensity of the storm, i.e 1 inch, 3 inches, etc. Somehow, either with the
chart or data table, I need to interpolate for storm durations that I put in.
In simpler terms, if I put in say 12 min., (data for 10 and 15 are in the
table), I need to find out what the intensity is by interpolatation. To
further complicate matters, I need this interpolated value to go in a cell in
different parts of my spreadsheet.