Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
rixmix rixmix is offline

Default Pivot table and organizing data

This one is really making me scratch my head. Here is the story. I have a
list of information which I am pulling in via a query from SQL. Data is good
and it correctly comes into Excel (03 or 07). I have five columns with data:
Date, Time, AccountID , Status. First two are self-explanatory; third is a
3-letter ID, forth is a status (pass/fail). Ok, now that you have an idea,
here is what I need:

1. List the account IDs as a column
2. List the dates as rows
3. Place the alert into the location that corresponds to the appropriate
data and account

I know this 'sounds' like a straight-forward pivot table. However, the issue
comes in with the alert. It is text and not a number. As you know the
'inside' area of a pivot table is looking for numbers AND wants to do some
type of calculation. I could convert the alert field to being a '0' for pass
and a '1' for fail in order to overcome this limit. However, I cannot figure
out how to tell Excel to not perform a calculation on these cells, leaving
them as their original values.

Looking for some expertise. This is driving me absolutely crazy.