Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Rookie 1st class Rookie 1st class is offline

Default How do I string formulas together in Excel to display variable

Roger had it right. Paste this in a5
=IF(A1=85,"High
Distinction",IF(A1=75,"Distinction",IF(A1=65,"Cr edit",IF(A1=50,"Pass",IF(A1<50,"NGP")))))'all on one line in A5.
=IF(B1=85,"High
Distinction",IF(B1=75,"Distinction",IF(B1=65,"Cr edit",IF(B1=50,"Pass",IF(B1<"","NGP","")))))' again all one line
Slight modification that doesn't put NGP in empty cell. use fill right and
left to correct the formula for all columns.
Lou

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi David

Try
=IF(A184,"HD,IF(A174,"D",IF(A164,"C",IF(A149," P","NGP"))))

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"DavidB" wrote in message
Thanks Stefi for your reply, I know that I didn't make myself clear so
may I
try to explain in words (hope this works).
What I am trying to do is set up a scoring system for students. The
scoring
system is: 85-100 =High Distinction, 75-84 =Distinction, 65-74 =
Credit,
50-64 =Pass, N =NGP. So, for example If I type in whatever score into
cell A1
then I want cell A5 to output either HD, D, C, NGP. Does that make
sense??
My direct email address is "
Cheers
David

"Stefi" wrote:

You defined that you want to display "High Distinction" when B1384
and
B13<101 but didn't specify the conditions of Distinction, Credit,
NGP, Fail...
We need these details to compose the appropriate formula!

Regards,
Stefi

"DavidB" wrote:

I want to display a range of quotes in one cell from a formula in
that
cell...if you can make sense of that. The first part of the formula
works
well and displays one of five messages but I cant add any more
formulas to
the existing one without getting error messages, for example:
=IF(AND(B1384,B13<101),"High Distinction"). This works well but I
need to
add more to it in order to display Distiction, Credit, NGP,
Fail...I am more
than willing to send to anyone who can help me, the Excel
spreadsheet to have
a look at.
Cheers
David