Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Fred Smith Fred Smith is offline

Default how do you calculate compound interest with multiple payments?

You're correct. But you still have to list each payment and each date. I think
the OP was hoping you could specify a count, as in 10 payments of $x, followed
by 14 payments of $y, etc. (as some HP calculators support).

But XIRR isn't that smart.

Fred

wrote in message
ups.com...
Fred Smith wrote:
"Wahine15" wrote:
I have a series of unequal payments over unequal time periods. I would
like
to calculate the compounded interest of these payments. Is there an easier
way than setting this up in a table?

To answer your second question, you need to set up a table with each payment
and
the date made. Then feed this table to XIRR.

While I prefer to do it that way, too, the following paradigm works
just fine:

XIRR({-10000,-1000,-2000,30000},
{"1/1/2000","3/4/2001","5/6/2003","10/4/2006"})