Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Default Sorting by Sections Problem

Perhaps one way. Try this play ..
(source data must start in row2 down)

Assuming source data as posted is within A2:A17
(range is inclusive of the blank row below the last section)

Put in B2: =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Team",A2)),LEFT(A2),LEFT(B1))
Copy B2 down to B17 (include the blank cell below the last section)
[Leave B1 empty]

Now, try sorting the "sections" in col A by the helper col B
Select A2:B17, click Data Sort
Check "No header row" Sort by column B (ascending) OK

Test out the sorting with various changes to the team names
Seems to work ok here
--
Max
Singapore
"Freshman" wrote:
Dear all,

I've data in column A and are separated by sections. Each section has a
heading. For example:

ELS Team:
Peter
Ken
Justin

PLP Team
Paul
Mary
Byran
May

QWS Team
Wilson
Tim
Isa

If sometimes later, the name "QWS Team" is changed to "DGK Team" and I want
to sort the teams again in alphabetical order of team name so that "DGK Team"
is in front of "ELS Team". Please advise how can I sort the data by section
name like the example above.

Thanks in advance.