Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff Biff is offline

Default Index Match Vlookup?

Send a copy of the file to me. I'm at:

xl can help at comcast period net

Remove "can" and change the obvious. Include a detailed explanation of what
you're trying to do.

Biff

"IntricateFool" wrote in message
Yes I tried, but it is not working. I don't see how using the sumproduct
function would work. I am thinking it would be more of a combination of
and match. Then again I could be completely wrong.

Is there anywhere else I could forward the file?

"PapaDos" wrote:

Sorry, I never open files coming from that kind of source.

Did you try to adjust my formula t your ranges ?
--
Festina Lente

"IntricateFool" wrote:

Could you check out the file I have posted online and see if you can
get it
working? It is not working for me... I have been trying all day.

http://dl019.filefactory.com/dl/f/c9...2fd2d5a671586/
Showing you an actualy file is the only way I can think of to show you
exactly what I am trying to do...

I really appreciate your help.

"PapaDos" wrote:

Oups !

Replace D1 by C2 in the above formula, sorry...
--
Festina Lente

"PapaDos" wrote:

Assuming your "System to County" table is in $Q$1:$V$5, enter this
formula
into D2
=INDEX($Q$1:$Q$5, SUMPRODUCT(($R$1:$V$5 = D1) * ROW($Q$1:$Q$5)) -
ROW($Q$1:$Q$5) + 1)

Adjust the ranges to fit your needs...

NOTES:
The counties need to be unique in the table, or bad results will
occur.

--
Festina Lente

"IntricateFool" wrote:

How would I go about having a function return a single value from
searching
several different columns and matching the proper "name" with its
"county"?

Here is what the spreadsheet looks like:
C D | H I
J K
1 County System | System County1 County2
County3
2 Mobile ? | System 1 Mobile
Montco
Harris
3 Bucks ? | System 2 Ford
George
Newman
4 George System2 | System 3 Boman Bucks
Farrel
5 York ? | System 4 Rosel
Duke
York

D2 should = System 1
D3 should = System 3
D5 should = System 4

Each System contains unique counties. What function (s) would I
need to use
to match the correct county to its respective system?

As of now I am trying to use in cell "D2":
=INDEX(H1:K5,MATCH(C2,C2:C1246,0),MATCH(H1,I2:K2,0 )) <-completely
off?
obviously not working...