Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
vezerid vezerid is offline

Default MOD

Hmmmm,
now I understand the meaning of the second message in the thread. Well,
this is news to me too! On the other hand, the following formula:

=A1-FLOOR(A1,2)

will return the same as MOD(A1,2) and it does not suffer from this
problem, although it would be good only for positive numbers in A1.

Microsoft suggest another identity, which I am sure will also work:

MOD(n, d) = n - d*INT(n/d)

HTH
Kostis

Pete_UK wrote:
Kostis,

that's what I thought and tried it - MOD(123456789,2) returns 1 as
expected, but MOD(1234567890,2) returns #NUM!, even if the number is in
a different cell.

I haven't come across this before.

Pete

vezerid wrote:
The number of digits should not be a problem. Excel supports up to 15
digits of precision and it will accept longer representations even if
it truncates their precision to 15 digits.

On the other hand, using a number literal as formatted (i.e. with the
commas as thousand separator) WILL cause an error because commas are
confused with the argument separator.

Try entering the number in a different cell (say A1) and then using
=MOD(A1,something). You should not get an error.

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

J.H. wrote:
I have a question on the funtion "MOD". When the number to be divided is more
than nine digits (like: 1,234,457,890), the funtion would return error. How
can I fix this?

Thanks.