Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default How do I set up a random name generator in excel (school use)

Here is a modification of that approach. Just as Dave advised:
One way is to put the names in column A (say A1:A30) and put =rand() in
B1:B30.

But Rather than sorting, you could put a formula in column C

In C1 put:

=INDEX($A$1:$A$30,RANK(B1,$B$1:$B$30),1)

then drag fill it down to row 30. Now you will have a random list of
students. You hit F9 to get a new list

So you could hit F9 each time you want to ask a question and use the top
name (hit it again if it duplicates the last value)

or hit it once and work your way through that list. Note that if the sheet
calculates, the list will be changed, so you might want to Set Calculation
to manual (in tools=Options) if you will be working through the list.

Tom Ogilvy

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
One way is to put the names in column A (say A1:A30) and put =rand() in
B1:B30.

Then sort those two columns using column B as the primary key.

And pick off the top x number of names.

If you want, you can resort again to randomize the list.

mochapo wrote:

I am a high school teacher and would like to use a random name generator
for
calling on students. Any guidance on how to set one up? I read an
article in
which the author stated a friend wrote an excel formula for doing this -
but
no further info.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--