Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Southpaw Southpaw is offline

Default Why is the sort command in excel 2003 shaded out?

It sounds like two or more worksheets in your workbook are grouped (are all
the tabs at the bottom white?).

Right click on one of the tabs and choose ungroup.

"jico" wrote:

I don't know about "protecting" a worksheet. I did notice that "[Group]"
appeared after the filename at the top of the window.

I've been using the Microsoft Works spreadsheet for years and have just
transitioned to using excel. These concepts didn't exist in Works.

My file has 297 rows of information. The term"[Group]" appears after the
filename in the title bar. Everything in the Data menu is shaded out. I
can't sort, group(whatever that is), or anything else relating to the data
menu. Excel Help says to select the group to ungroup, but I don't even know
what a group is let alone how to find and select it! Excel Help gives me no
clue of what to do.

I have no idea how it got this way or how to restore the file to its
previous condition.

"Bob Umlas" wrote:

Is the worksheet protected?

"jico" wrote in message
suddenly Excel stopped letting me sort rows. No matter what I try, I

cannot
get the sort command and icon to be usable.