Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected] tehbloo@gmail.com is offline

Default Excel + user input + external data (URL manipulation)

Is there any way for excel to manipulate the values sent with the
external data (URL) request?

Here's the basic concept:
- User opens survey excel file on their desktop.
- Excel displays default data. Some of which is defined from a URL
(www.foo.com/search.php)
- Excel populates a drop down with part of the returned data (Company A
= 1, Company B = 2, etc)
- User makes selection from drop down (Company B)
- Excel does a lookup to determine actual numeric value of Company B
(2)

--- Here's my sticking point, everything up till now is working as
needed ---
- Excel loads external data via modified URL
(www.foo.com/search.php?company=1)

I can build the string out, if needed, but I'm thinking there must be
an easier way. The search.php page can handle having or not having the
parameters.

Any thoughts on this? I've done an armload of searches, both google and
in these groups, to no avail, at least not what I believe I need answer
wise. I'm hoping to manipulate the parameters of the URL used to link
to external data. Doing something like this??

='http://www.foo.com/search.php?company='$Companies.$D2.

Make sense? Doable? Damn I hope so.
Thanks in advance!
Joe