Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
rrr rrr is offline

Default How do I assign a numeric value to text? IE cell = yes then

In the same row (where there are cells with YES and NO values) I would like
to incorporate a value from text in one additional cell. In that cell I've
build a list with three word values: SIMPLE STANDARD or COMPLEX. If that
cell is blank it should count as 0 similar to the blank or" NO" cell from
before. But if the word in that cell is SIMPLE is should count as 1, if
STANDARD then 2, but if COMPLEX s/b 1 again....same as SIMPLE.

Any ideas?

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Thanks for the feedback......I'm glad you could use that.

Regarding:
May I ask you a second related question?

Of course! What's the question?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"rrr" wrote:

Hi Ron,

Thank you very much. Works great. May I ask you a second related question?

Randy

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try something like this:

With
A1:A20 containing "Yes" and "No" values

This formula returns the count of "Yes" values
B1: =COUNTIF(A1:A20,"Yes")

Does that help?
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"rrr" wrote:

I am trying to create a simple list in a cell: YES or NO. Then I want to
sum the row of YES or NO's. If I can assign a value of 1 to YES and 0 to NO
I can do the math. Not sure how to assign a numeric value to a short list of
text in a cell to enable this math operation.