Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jIM jIM is offline

Default PV, NPER, PER and FV

Fred Smith wrote:
I can't help you with the NPER and PER, because I don't know what function you
are referring to.

However, it's easy to calculate the interest and principal portion using simple
math.

The principal is, of course, $5,097,000.

The interest is Total Payments - Principal, or 250000*32-5097000 = 2,903,000

Fred

"jIM" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to simulate some market returns for a retirement investment
portfolio.

I have the PMT function working well.

example:

want income of $250,000, for 32 years, 3% withdraw rate, overall
portfolio value (PV) is $5,097,000.

This is only an estimate- the purpose was to find the aprox value of an
investment portfolio which would yield $250k of income.

On another spreadsheet I was trying to calculate an ammortization table
to know how much principal and how much interest makes up the
$5,100,000.

My confusion is with the NPER and PER inputs- what do these mean? Is
one the 32 years and the other which of the 32 years it's calculating?

I am using the IPMT function- what is difference between NPER and PER?