Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips Bob Phillips is offline

Default User Defined Functions - local or global?

This doesn't clarify your problem any, apart from showing that you seem to
be confused between UDFs and names as Gord says, but seems more of an answer
to a problem.

What is the question?

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Simon" wrote in message
In our last episode Bob Phillips wrote:

Can you tell what is meant by loc al and global UDFs, not a term I am
familiar with.

OK, a bit more info (my frustration probably got the better of me with my
original post...)

size wise the 2 files are almost the same, and I'm in the process of doing
some more testing (basically it was taking about 20 minutes (plus!) just

open a workbook containing 3 sheets and about 150K rows of data - about 10
columns of source data and 13 calculated), and I had several to work with
that day

You can define your user defined functions as global (ie useable from any
sheet in a workbook) or local (only useable from within the worksheet they
are defined in).

To add a local UDF, add the worksheet name to the UDF name, eg sheet1!Cost
(if your sheet name has spaces you need to enclose the sheet name in
commas, ie 'sheet 1!'cost)

FYI, an excellent tool for managing named ranges/functions is (strangely
enough) Name Manager - an Excel addin that's much easier to use than the
Excel name definition dialog box

get it here http://www.jkp-ads.com/OfficeMarketPlacenm-en.asp