Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips Bob Phillips is offline

Default User Defined Functions - local or global?

Can you tell what is meant by loc al and global UDFs, not a term I am
familiar with.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Simon" wrote in message
I have a set of templates that we use to check/calculate costs from
invoices using a set of user defined functions (nested if's beyond the
normal limit).

I had these set up as local (each sheet uses a different set of functions,
so it made it easier for me to navigate/maintain), but I was having

trouble
whenever I needed to copy or move a sheet (ie we routinely check over 100K
records at a time so multiple worksheets are a necessity). If I needed to
do this, excel was throwing up error messages in relation to my UDF's

local
to that sheet.

In an effort to get around this I have converted them to global, but this
seems to incur a significant performance penalty, ie the size has blown

out
considerably, and the load times are woefully slow (i assume due to
recalculation)

Can anyone advise me whether or not this is a viable strategy to resolve

my
initial problem (or point me at a helpful resource), or if I should stick
with my original solution)

TIA

2 + 2 will never equal 5 (not even for very large values of 2...)