Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Epinn Epinn is offline

Default formula to lookup value and return value from cell at left of target

It just dawned on me that the other rule might be this.

VLOOKUP - Leftmost column must be sorted in ascending order.

MATCH - Array doesn't have to be sorted.

Tony, I hope you don't mind me showing up. When I learn, I usually like to look at the big picture.

Epinn

"Carim" wrote in message ups.com...
Hi Epinn,

If I am mistaken, this was at least the rule ....
in order to vlookup "on the left", one had to combine match and index
to come up with the result ...

HTH
Cheers
Carim