Rand451 Rand451 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Coos Bay, OR
Send a message via Skype™ to Rand451

I put the months in row 2, columns J to U. With U2 = Jan

Cell A2 is reserved for the number of columns. Recommend you use data validation or some kind of drop-down list to restrict the user to 12 max.

x values go in B3 to whatever

The following formula was filled down from A3 to whatever

=SUM(OFFSET($U$2,$B3,1,1,1):OFFSET($U$2,$B3,-$A$2+1,1,$A$2))

$U$2 = Jan
$B3 = x = this row, column 2
$A$2 = # months

in R1C1 notation: =SUM(OFFSET(R2C21,RC2,1,1,1):OFFSET(R2C21,RC2,-R2C1+1,1,R2C1))

hth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr
I am having trouble wrapping my brain around this one.

I have a listing of columns for months (in reverse order). In each row
is that months budget numbers. What I want to do is have a column that
sums the year to date based on a value that is typed into a cell.
Colunn U = Jan
column T = Feb
Column S = March
etc

So if I type a 1, I want the sum of row x columns U:U
If I type a 3, I want the sum of row x columns S:U
etc

Thanks in advance for any help.
Guy