Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Making cell reference absolute makes cell format text

Hi

Weird one here! I've been browsing the Excel forums for years and not seen
this.
One sheet is called Special One Off Deals, and in cell C2 is Aug 06 -
formatted as text.
In another sheet, any General cell, I type = and then navigate to C2 in
the other sheet and hit enter. The result is Aug 06 - formatted as text.
That's fine - and as a result the cell format changes to text (which I
didn't expect). I now edit the cell and change the reference to absolute (ie
='Special One Off Deals'!$C$2 ) and now the formula displays in the cell -
not the result. Why?
I have tried it on two different PCs and get the same each time. It's got me
beat!
Cheers.
Andy.