Posted to microsoft.public.office.setup,microsoft.public.word.setup.networking,microsoft.public.excel.setup
John Nurick John Nurick is offline

Default Startup and template locations in Citrix TS session and local session

'Morning all,

Following a take-over I'm trying to work out how to make our Word and
Excel 2003 add-ins and templates work properly both in an ordinary local
session of Windows 2000 Pro (whether or not connected to the network)
*and* in remote sessions via Citrix terminal services.

Citrix is the new element (also it's change from a Windows to a Novell
network).

Until now, the setup has been:
*A Word add-in (stored on the local drive in C:\Templates\Startup) so
it's always available) and templates (in C:\Template)
*An Excel add-in and Book.xls (both stored in C:\Templates\Excel).
*These locations are stored in Word's Options|File Locations (Startup
and User Templates) and Excel's alternate startup folder.
*Updated templates are pushed out automatically in the login script.

Now, I need to get things working smoothly in four scenarios:

1) Local session on company PC connected to the network
2) Local session on company PC disconnected from network (e.g. working
on a train or plane)
3) Citrix session with client on company PC.
4) Citrix session on non-company PC (e.g. logging in from a home
computer or a workstation in a client's office).

1 and 2 are no problem. But I can't so far see how to handle 3 and 4 in
away that ensures that things in the documents and workbooks that
reference the add-ins will "just work" without having to re-attach
templates or edit links.

If anyone's been here before I'd be very grateful for advice.

--
John Nurick [Microsoft Access MVP]

Please respond in the newgroup and not by email.