Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
hettie hettie is offline

Default vlookup- is a must that lookup value should be the leftmost co

many thanks, max. I seldom use index and match, maybe I need more practice.:)

"Max" wrote:

INDEX/MATCH would fit the bill .. You can match on any column, and return any
other column via the INDEX part of it, eg to exact match a lookup value in A1
against col AZ & return from col K would look like this:
=INDEX(K:K,MATCH(A1,AZ:AZ,0))

Try Debra Dalgleish's nice coverage on INDEX/MATCH at her:

INDEX/MATCH

There's also some sample workbooks available for d/l & study
--
Max
Singapore
"hettie" wrote:
Since the table which i want to search are often not ranged as the lookup
value located in the leftmost column, should I always need to adjust the
column sequence of the table so as to use "Vlookup" function.
It's really a bother.

Can anybody kindly help?
Thanks,