Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier Jon Peltier is offline

Default plot 2 columns against each other

If your data is arranged in a certain way, you will be able to do more with
less effort.Five minutes with the data might prevent five hours of
teeth-gnashing.

First of all, Microsoft did nobody any favors with its terminology of line
and scatter charts. The differences are not with the formatting of the
series, which you might notice if you see what subtypes are available. The
differences are with the treatment of the X data and the X axis:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...ValueAxis.html

Second, it's always best to put the X column to the left of the Y column.
Immediately to the left is better, but not critical, because you can select
multiple areas using the ctrl key. If you have headers for the columns,
resist the urge to put a header on the X column. The blank tells Excel that
something is different about this column, so it will try to make it into a
category column. Actually if you create an XY chart, Excel uses the leftmost
column for X by default.

If you are still unable to make use of a standard arrangement of the data
columns, I've put together a small utility that lets you draw XY charts in
Excel using semi-regular data regions. It's still a beta type program, not
perfect yet (it won't be perfect until at least next week), but it's pretty
good. Try it he

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...rtUtility.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Andrew" wrote in message
I am having problems with plotting 2 seperate columns against each other.
have one column of data that needs to be the X axis and one column of data
that needs to be on the Y axis and they need to be plotted against each
other, but when I try to create a chart, it will not let me plot these 2
columns against each other but merely as 2 different data series. Please
help.