Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Homer Jay Homer Jay is offline

Default Lookup and Replace

I need some help in creating a look up to replace some data in my
spreadsheet. I had thought about using Access, but need to keep the cell's
in the format that they are in, and so cannot accurately import the data
into Access for manipulation.

A snapshot of my data is below:

A B C D E F
M2XX ABC DEF GHI
M2XY 123 456 789
M2XZ ZYX WVU RST

I want to be able to go down through the rows and where Excel find's the
characters M2 at the beginning of a cell/row to replace it with (for
example) TP. I can't just use the Find Replace function as there are text
fields which contain M2 in the middle of a description, which I do not want
to change. I only want to change the 2 characters at the beginning of the
field.

I can't change the layout of the spreadsheet, for example concatenate all
the fields to one long field and then look up and replace where M2 is at the
beginning as I need to keep the layout intact. The M2 I need to replace is
always at the beginning of the row of data and can be in any column, but is
always the first 2 characters.

If any more information is needed please let me know, hopefully someone can
help.

Thanks.