Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default Protection on excel file

Ross

There are many things you cannot do on a protected sheet.

But check out the list of options you can allow under ToolsProtectionProtect
Worksheet............if you're running Excel 2002 or 2003

Have a look at "allow users to edit ranges" also

Generally for sorting, filtering and that sort of operation you would use a
macro to remove protection, do the work, then re-protect.

Browse through the results of this google search for posts by Dave Peterson on
"userinterfaceonly"

http://snipurl.com/wnzy

Gord

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 08:27:01 -0700, Ross wrote:

Hi Gord,

I wasn't able to get it to work. Everything was fine until I protected the
sheet. When I tried to input more records using the dataform, I got the
message "Cannot extend list or database". Also, I lost the ability to sort
the database, as 'Sort' is grayed-out on the menu, and the Sort
Ascending/Sort Descending buttons are also grayed-out.

Any ideas?