Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
AJL AJL is offline

Default wildcard characters, can they be used in tables to be searched?

Hello!
I have several tables of data that I am returning into a long ten digit
number using V-lookup. The data typed in can vary, and thus so does the
resultant 10 digit number. I would like to return specific comments in
another vlookup equation based on that ten digit number.
The comments however, do not depend on all ten digits, only a few. So I
made another table in Excel that includes all my possible comments and the
number combinations that would result in that comment returning true. The
rest of the digits I filled in the ?. Now, when the vlookup, looks at the 10
digit number that results and searches for it in my new table, is there
anyway for it to accept the question marks as matching characters much as it
would when I type the question mark into the v-lookup formula itself?