Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
QLT1120 QLT1120 is offline

Default How do I validate latitude/longitude in terms of ddmmss

I have a form where I'd like users to enter their latitude and longitude in
the form: +/-DDMMSS (I'm trying to be user friendly). I also need to
validate that they have entered the data in the correct format (i..e, where
for longitude degrees can vary from +180 to -180, but that the corresponding
minutes can only vary from 00 to 59). I'm using Excel 2003, but for various
reasons, cannot use XML and check against a schema. Is there a simple custom
validation I can perform, or am I going to have to 1) break the data up into
different cells and check each individually or 2) convert to radians to
perform the check?