Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Drew K Drew K is offline

Default set of numbers, i.e. [1..48]

Thanks Niek,

I wrote a program so long ago in Pascal that handles placing students at my
school at random dinner tables for our formal meals. I want to pass the
assignment responsibility off to a non-programmer, and feel excel might be
strong enough to do it without learning any visual basic.

To simplify: I've got four sets of 80 students. I randomly pick one kid in
the set and place him at table 1, and remove him from the set. I repeat,
going around the room until that set is empty. Then I start on the second
set, doing the same thing.

It works very well, and the only shortcoming is that a student will randomly
end up back at the same table later on, or with many of the same students
later on. The ideal would be to store a seating history, and if a student
gets placed poorly then he'd go back into the set and another one selected
for placement.

I hope this makes some sense, and thanks to anyone who has read this far!

"Niek Otten" wrote:

Perhaps you can explain what you're trying to achieve?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel