Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Richard Buttrey Richard Buttrey is offline

Default If statements

How does the M4, M5, M6 etc relate to the A1digit - say 5 in your
example. Can I assume that it relates to the ' 5' in M5?

Also in which case assuming the table below is in two columns, i.e.

M4 2
M5 2
etc..

in the range A0:B14

then the formula would be

=A1*VLOOKUP("M"&A1,A10:B14,2,FALSE)

HTH

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:38:01 -0700, fuzzylogic
wrote:

There are multiple rows but the first cell would be C4 (through G4) - values
range from "1" through "5"

The weighting factors for the first scenario (I'll have 3 others) is
M4 = 2 points
M5 = 2 points
M6 = 1.5 points
M7 = 1 point
M8 = 1 point

Seems like this shouldn't be so difficult. argh

"Pete_UK" wrote:

I'm not sure how your table relates to the example. But, if you do have
a table which lists the value and the weighting factor, then you can
use a VLOOKUP formula rather than a multiple-IF statement.

What are the cell references for your table?

Pete

fuzzylogic wrote:
This should be simple but I'm on a deadline. Need to write a formula that
will provide a weighted total. I think it's an IF statement something like:

IF a1=5 then * 2 (I have a table with the weights so the number 2 would be a
cell reference. Just not sure of all the commas, semi-colons and parens!
Help. Thanks!

5 = 5 points
4 = 3 points
3 = 2 points