Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Tim Tim is offline

Default Two excel problems

Max wrote:

"Tim" wrote:
.. Small problem
I have a worksheet with just under 5000 rows and half a dozen columns.
Two of the columns contain telephone numbers. Unfortunately in the
conversion of the data to get it into a format that excel could use the
leading "0" was stripped from the phone number, how can I put the "0"
back in again (I don't have access to the original data so I can't rerun
the conversion).

Something which could fix the small problem ..

Assume tel#s' running in A1 down, and should be in 7 digits format
Put in B1: =IF(A1="","",TEXT(A1,"0000000"))
(Adapt the number of zeros to suit)
Copy B1 down. Col B will return the tel#s with the leading zeros (if
applicable). Then select col B copy, and overwrite col A with a paste
special as values. Delete col B to clean up. Repeat for the other col of
tel#s.

Worked perfectly thanks Maxs

Tim