Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Marie Marie is offline

Default how do I change the columns to letters not numbers

I tried saving it to a new workbook but it still doesn't work and I've
deleted the old name that was causing the problem but still no luck?

"Allllen" wrote:

It also tells you the old name and asks you to define a new name...

What has happened is that you have set up a named region in your workbook
with a name like "A1".

That is OK whilst you are using R1C1 style, but of course if you want the
columns to be lettered, then the first cell in your sheet will also be A1.

What you have to do is go on Insert Names Define names and find the one
which is causing the problem. It is the one with the old name that Excel was
complaining about. Change this to something else or delete it, providing
that you don't need it.

Then try again.

Or otherwise close all your workbooks. Then start a brand new workbook.
Now try. That should work because the new workbook won't have any names in
it.
--
Allllen

"Marie" wrote:

When I do tools/Option?general tab and deselect R1C1 it says name cannot
resemble a reference