Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Default Two excel problems

"Tim" wrote:
.. Big problem
This ones a little harder, I have a worksheet with around 40 telephone
number on it in one column (call this worksheet Y). I have another 10
worksheets (call these worksheet a,b,c,d etc.) which contain imported
telephone bill information (numbers called, duration, cost etc.). What I
want to do is see how often the number listed on worksheet Y appears on
each of the worksheets a, b, c, etc.

In Y,

Assume the 40 tel nos are listed in A2 down
Assume the tel nos on the 10 sheets (a, b, c, d, etc) are all in col A
(The tel nos in Y -- with the "small problem" rectified -- and those in the
10 sheets are assumed to be in a consistent format)

List the names of the 10 sheets in B1 across, eg: a, b, c, d, etc
Ensure that these names are consistent with the actual names on the 10 tabs.
Watch out for typos, extra spaces, etc

Then just put in B2:
=IF(OR($A2="",B$1=""),"",COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&B$1& "'!A:A"),$A2))
Copy B2 across and fill down to populate the table
--
Max
Singapore