Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Select All missing, Ctrl-A not working (Excel 2003 SP2)

I put something in A4:A6 (and the rest of the worksheet was empty)
I selected A5 and hit ctrl-a, and A4:A6 was selected.
I hit ctrl-a again and all the cells were selected.

I'm not sure what the layout of your data would be to never select the all the
cells.

Well, if your worksheet is protected and the developer (you???) specified that
either unlocked cells (or locked cells) couldn't be selected, then you wouldn't
be able to select all the cells. Any chance of that?

And I have no idea why MS does anything. I'm sure they did usability studies
that found that those in the study needed this new behavior (whether they wanted
it or not!).

JimO wrote:

I selected A5 then typed Ctrl-A. It selected A4 and A5.

Ctrl-A was then typed an additional ten times with the outcome that A4 and
A5 are still selected.

So, any ideas why Microsoft changed the behavior? Even help says it selects
the entire worksheet.

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Keep on hitting ctrl-a as many times as you need (you won't need more than
3,
IIRC).

ctrl-a's behavior changed depending on what was selected and what was in
surrounding cells.

JimO wrote:

The Edit menu does not contain a Select All item.
Using Ctrl-A does not Select All, if there is an area to select. For
Example consider range (A1:A8) with data in each cell except for A3 and
A6.

A1
A2

A4
A5

A7
A8

Placing the cursor on A5 and typing Ctrl-A only selects cells A4 and A5.

This is on each computer running Excel 2003 SP2 that I have tested. Is
Microsoft getting rid of Ctrl-A and Select All? Help still references
Ctrl-A.

--

Dave Peterson

--