Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jim jim is offline

Default Creating a List

Not sure about using data validation for this, but you could use a
combo box to select from a list that lives in a different workbook.

Jim

Jeff Bendert wrote:
Excel 2003

Hello,

I am trying to create a drop-down list in a workbook based on a range of
cells in another workbook via the Data, Validation menu commands. I have
followed the steps as specified in the Help system which state that I can
reference a "different worksheet in a different workbook." However when I
try to create the list I receive the message that you cannot use external
references (I am using a named range created in the workbook that references
the external cells).

Thanks for any help you can provide.