Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bob Phillips Bob Phillips is offline

Default WORKDAY() and probably more

"Epinn" wrote in message

I don't understand Biff's shortest formula though.

=WORKDAY(EOMONTH(A1,0)-7,5)

"5" means there are five work days, right? Can't figure out minus 7?
7 is Saturday or 7 means 7 days in a week. I don't want to torture
my brain too much now ......

It.s nothing to do with Saturday. What is happening is that the formula
first calculates the end of monthe date, and then takes 7 off of that to go
back into the month. Thus, if the last day is a Saturday, it will take you
back to the previous Saturday, Tuesday goes to Tuesday. WORKDAY is then
invoked with that date + 5 days which MUST take you to the last working days
(i.e 5 on Sat is Fri, 5 on Tue is Tue).

I won't worry about the non-ATP formulae as I want to prevent a

short-circuit.

Chicken <vbg

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeWS.htm

C. Pearson is a popular name around here, right? Is he an MVP?
He uses non-ATP formulae. Not sure if they are identical to the ones
suggested here. Too lazy to check.

Great site, great guy. He is indeed an MVP.

Is Biff a real name or is it an acronym like Epinn?
Does Biff stand for "big in functions/ formulae" by chance? ;)

Could be an NG handle, I must admit I have always assumed that it is. But if
you recall, in Back to The Future, Marty's adversary is called Biff Tannen,
so it could be real.