Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Excel and zip codes

And you had another followup that said:

You don't want to use Zip+4 as your number format.

Try a custom format of
Format|Cells|Number tab|Custom category
[99999]00000-0000;00000

In that Type: box.

======
Didn't that work?

dm wrote:

Here's more info on what happened when I tried yesterday's suggestion. The
nine digit codes reformatted perfectly. However, the five digit codes came
out 00001-2345 rather than 12345.

dm

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Yesterday's suggestion didn't help?

dm wrote:

I copied a column of zip codes that has nine digit codes and five digit
codes. Then I pasted it into another worksheet, selected Format, Special,
zip + 4. Nothing happens. If I double click one of the cells, the format will
change. The nine digit zip codes will be okay but the five digits will appear
as 0001-2345 rather than 12345. It's also time consuming to go through a
whole spreadsheet double clicking cells. How do I get both five and nine
digit codes to be properly formatted? This happens whether I'm using
copy/paste, importing from Access or using an Excel file exported from
Crystal Reports.

--

Dave Peterson

--