Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David Cox David Cox is offline

Default Trend Function

Often statistics only serve to confuse. I would guess that these are quite
high value items, otherwise you would not be too bothered about them. You
have very few numbers to base a forecast on. If you have many different
customers and there are a large number of potential customers then a
reliable forecast might be impossible. If you have only a small number of
customers you might get a better idea by ringing some of them up, asking
such things as how they got on with your product, how it compared to
competitors, any suggestions for improvements, and, BTW, are you in the
market for more soon?

"Grant" wrote in message
I have some merchandise that I am trying to determine what the sales trend
is going to be for the next three months. I want this based off of the 24
months worth of sales I have. My sheet has sales for the last 24 months,
month by month.

Month Sales
1 3
2 4
3 5
4 6
5 7
6 8
7 8
8 7
9 6
10 5
11 4
12 3
13 3
14 4
15 5
16 6
17 7
18 8
19 8
20 7
21 6
22 5
23 4
24 3

25
26
27

I am trying to use the TREND function. For example if my sales were this I
would expect the result for month 25 to be 3, if month 1 & 13 represented
January. The result I get is 5.5 which is nothing more than the average of
all 24 months.

T.I.A.