Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel and zip codes

Just insure that the cells in the original column have been formatted to Text
prior to entering data into them. When these cells are copied to another
column, the formatting will be correct.

For example if both A1 & A2 have been formatted as Text and then set to:

08759
01258-9876

then copying these cells will preserve the format of each one.

--
Gary's Student

"dm" wrote:

I copied a column of zip codes that has nine digit codes and five digit
codes. Then I pasted it into another worksheet, selected Format, Special,
zip + 4. Nothing happens. If I double click one of the cells, the format will
change. The nine digit zip codes will be okay but the five digits will appear
as 0001-2345 rather than 12345. It's also time consuming to go through a
whole spreadsheet double clicking cells. How do I get both five and nine
digit codes to be properly formatted? This happens whether I'm using
copy/paste, importing from Access or using an Excel file exported from
Crystal Reports.