Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier Roger Govier is offline

Default Data Validation Question. (oops...sorry)

Hi Chuck

If you have followed Debra's instructions and defined your named ranges
correctly, then with Data Validation set up in cell B10 as List, with
source =INDIRECT(A10) then it should work.

What happens when you do it?

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"ChuckF" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have data validation set up for a few cells in my spreadsheet. What
I am trying to do is create a secondary list based on the selection
from the first cell.

EXAMPLE.

Category
Fruit
Vegetable

Fruit
Apple
Pear
Grape

Vegetable
Potato
Snow Pea
Squash

In the first cell containing data validation (Say A10) you chose Fruit
or Vegetable. In cell B10 your drop down options are based on what is
entered in A10. A10=Fruit, choices on B10 are Apple Pear or Grape,
whereas if A10=Vegetable, your choices on B10 are Potato, Snow Pea or
Squash.

I have checked out http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal02.html and
can't seem to figure it out. Can anyone help?

Thanks!