JulieD

Hi

i'm with Gordon on this one - vlookup will not do this for you ... you'll
need to use VBA code to cycle through the sheets looking for the item number
and then return the sheet name - which can then be used in a vlookup for
related data.

Cheers
JulieD

"jtinne" wrote in message
I'm trying to find where a specific item number is located within the
range
of sheets. The name of the sheet is the location I need to know. In
another
cell I want be able to look up that specific item number and return the
contents of a specific cell in the sheet that the item number is found in.

"Gordon" wrote:

jtinne wrote:
I need a couple formulas to search a range of sheets on my workbook.

The first one needs to be able to seach through a range of sheets (exp.
sheet 20 to sheet 27) and find my value then I want it to display the
name of
the sheet it is on.

For that you need a VB Script.

Second is to seach a range of sheets then display a value of a specific
cell
on that sheet it is found on.

Thank you for the help!

VLOOKUP doesn't "search" in the way that "Find" searches. It looks up
data in a table that meet certain criteria. In other words it returns a
value of a cell where that cell POSITION matches criteria that you have
set.

What EXACTLY are you trying to achieve with this?

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk