Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Pete Pete is offline

Default Transpose a variable length list into Excel / Access Table

Information illustrated is a text file from Library of Congress Internet
database pasted into Excel. There are many variables (about a dozen, though
the majority would be consistent). I have been thinking that if I can grasp
the principle with a few I can then apply it to a wider selection. I would
start by separating the text in column one so that the label (e.g., LC
Control Number would be in column A; and the actual number would be in column
B)

I want to end up with the Labels in column A being transposed as column
headings along the top row of an Excel spreadsheet, which would be linked to
the MS Access database for import. The data then needs to be added to the
rows beneath the column headings. This is the difficult bit. I can do it for
one set of data, but not for subsequent ones, especially when the row of
headings may not be exactly the same. (Of course, all possible could be types
along the top row beforehand if this makes it more feasible).

Thanks,

Pete